How to Enrol

Enrolment Procedures

Download and complete Wainuiomata High School’s Application Form and the Tuition Agreement.  Post or fax the completed applications to the International Dean. You will also need to send your $900.00 non-refundable Administration Fee (which is inclusive of GST).

Our Information Handbook is available to be viewed here and contains all the information you will need.

You and your parents must read our Tuition Agreement and Homestay Information pages. The forms on these pages must be signed by a parent if you are under 20, and sent to the school before you arrive.

When your application is approved we will send you an Offer of Place and an invoice for the school fees.  Once the school receives payment we will issue a letter of receipt and you can then apply for your visa.

Our bank account for electronic transfers is:

Account name:      Wainuiomata High School
Bank:                     ASB New Zealand
Branch:                  Queensgate, Lower Hutt, New Zealand
Account number:   12 3142 0315722 00
Swift Code:            ASBBNZ2A

Visa and Student Permit

A Student Visa is an endorsement you get in your passport. It shows you have permission to travel to New Zealand and may be granted a Student Permit when you arrive. The visa may be single for one journey, or multiple for more than one journey.

Your visa is only valid for travel to New Zealand until the date specified, and as long as your passport is current.

A Student Permit is an endorsement in your passport which allows you to study in New Zealand. It will state the expiry date of your permit and the conditions of your permit. The conditions may include:

the course of study
the educational institution
the location of the institution in New Zealand

Applying for your Student Visa

Once you have paid your tuition fees, you should apply for a New Zealand Student Visa. Below is a guide to obtaining your visa. Please note that this information is a guide only. The New Zealand Immigration Service requirements may vary between students and may change from time to time. You can also visit the New Zealand Immigration Service

When applying for your Student Visa you will need:

The NZ Immigration Service form Application to Study in New Zealand - the form is available from the New Zealand Immigration Service website, and from any New Zealand Embassy or High Commission
Student Visa application fee - the fee varies between countries; please check with the local New Zealand Immigration Service
Your passport - check to make sure it's not going to expire while you are in New Zealand
Recent passport size photo
Receipt for course fees paid to the High School
Evidence of financial support while in New Zealand (if you have paid your homestay fee to Wainuiomata High School this will be on your fees receipt)
Offer of Place letter from the High School
Guarantee of accommodation (this will be on your Offer of Place letter if you have asked WHS to arrange your homestay, or may be a letter from a relative who lives in Wellington)

All these items should be taken or sent to your nearest New Zealand Immigration Service branch or New Zealand Embassy or New Zealand High Commission. For some countries, e.g. China, you will need to gain an “approval in principle” before paying fees and gaining your Student Visa. You can check New Zealand Immigration Service details on their website at

From late July 2012, full fee paying international students will no longer have to complete full medicals (unless INZ has a need to request them case by case), regardless of the time they intend to remain in New Zealand as full fee paying students. We will retain the Tb screening. Students will be required to hold insurance as a condition of their visa.

If you are a citizen of one of the following countries you can visit New Zealand without a Visa for up to 3 months and you can apply for a Student Visa in New Zealand. This is a good idea if you would like to visit a number of schools and cities to decide which one is the best one for you.

Argentina, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kiribati, Korea (South), Kuwait, Liechenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, Nauru, Norway, Netherlands, Oman, Portugal, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Tuvalu, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Uruguay, USA.

Once your visa is approved, you will need to confirm your arrival date with the school and homestay accommodation will be arranged.